Meet Victoria Armstrong
We all have the potential to be great in ourselves and in our life, but many of us do not live up to our potential, or even believe we can be that good, for so very many reasons. I know this to be true because for many years I was not aware of how unhappy or unhealthy I was.
In my 20s, I was unrecognisable - overweight, neglecting my body, I had a bad back, PMT, raging period pains, gastroenteritis and irritable bowel syndrome, all the while tied to the corporate desk job I thought was the best career I could get. I knew I was unhappy, but on reflection I was depleted and miserable. Several instances of sudden fainting made me start looking at my life and forced me to start doing something very alien: looking after myself.
I decided to be proactive, developed a support network and started to receive regular massage as part of my new self-care regime. By getting back in touch with my body, I was able to listen to my body and my heart. I realised that I needed to make some more changes, life changes, from which I've not looked back.
A little part of one dies when not living and feeling your passion. Live it. Feel it. ~ Stephan Covey
I love this quote - I have been so lucky and worked so hard to retrain and qualify as a massage therapist, to develop Bristol Massage Therapy and am privileged that I can honestly say I have a life that I am passionate about and is filled with passions. When I'm not massaging or working on the business, I used to be found perhaps riding my motorbike or nipping away for unplanned breaks, but this is currently on hold after the birth of my son. I do hope to return to both these pursuits, the latter with my new sidekick in tow!
- Holistic Massage Diploma - Massage Training Institute (MTI) Level 4 Diploma through Bristol College of Massage & Bodywork (BCMB)
- Massage & Pregnancy Diploma - Association of Physical & Natural Therapists (APNT) through Well Mother
- I am also a qualified Personal Trainer, with further training in pre & post natal training, although I no longer offer personal training services.
Continued professional development
I regularly attend conferences and workshops to extend my skills and experience, and to investigate other bodywork disciplines which might be of further interest or benefit to me and my clients. Some of these have included:
- Advanced Workshops & Seminars
- Beyond Trauma & Treating the Impact of Trauma
- Releasing the Neck
- Massage for People with Cancer
- Deep Massage: The Lauterstein Method - I have completed both DM1 and DM2
- Introductory Workshops
- Principles of Remedial and Sports Massage – introductory
- Indian Head Massage – introductory
- Gokhale Method
- General bodywork
- Zero Balancing - Core ZB 1 & 2
- Anatomy Trains 1
- Reiki - First Degree
I also attend monthly massage supervision sessions with several other practitioners (including a number of tutors), and have attended the annual MTI InTouch Conference since 2013.
I am a member of the Massage Training Institute (MTI) and am a CNHC (Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council) Registered Massage Therapist.
Articles written by me
For more articles that I have written, they are available in our Tips & Articles section.